Wordsanctuary Revisited

Musings of a writer-teacher-counselor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I am inquisitive and have worked in writing, editing, and teaching. I am a citizen of the USA and also concerned about the world. This is an addendum to my original blog, Wordsanctuary. That's at www.wordsanctuary.blogspot.com Please check out my column at www.insidehighered.com, "A Kinder Campus." Click on Career Advice to find it. Thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Favorite #etmooc mooc jokes


Teaching community memoir writing
 I was reading that now is already a good time to show some evidence of  #etmooc learning. I'm afraid to reveal how far behind I am. With the beginning of the semester teaching and taking classes ... on ground ... and then wrenching my neck and back: I'm swamped. In some ways, I'm such a private learner. I'm reminded of the trouble I had learning to swim. For some reason, in my once-thin body, I could not float. And all the others in the class were reveling in the deep end, having so much fun in the pool! And the
teacher, more or less, gave up on me.
I learn through asking questions and making silent connections in my head.

And when all else fails, I wrap my mind around humor. That does loosen some of my knots, and I've noticed that it helps students, too.


Q. Why did the blogger cross the road?



A. Because his server crashed and he had to make a friend fast!



Q. How many bloggers does it take to change a light bulb?



A. What’s a light bulb?



A blog, a wiki, and a hashtag walk into a nightclub. “Haven’t I seen you somewhere before?” asked the chat. (I have no snappy comeback.)



If a blog is created in the blogosphere and is removed by its owner, does it make a sound?



Two trolls met on the information highway. They took out their thumbs and began to duel violently. This sad tale ends when they both suffered tendonitis and had to stop.



For more, see my confessions of a digital immigrant at Inside Higher Ed, 16 December 2008, "Sighing in Cyberspace." Or, if you are divided on the issue, consider reading, "Thumbs Up for a Balanced Life, " 21 October 2011. Or even the meditation, "Netiquette, Shmetiquette" published 13 April 2012.


Comments?


5 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa Vaile said...

I taught myself to swim too... too young for classes. My mother took me along when she was teaching and I watched (especially the Red Cross video about how to dog paddle and even managed my strange version of it well enough to earn "deep end privileges." The resulting style was described as "underarm drowning."

I recall my mother all but attacking the life guard when she saw me floundering in deep end. He explained (saying 'ma'am' a lot) that they all thought the same the first time they saw it but that I could do laps of it.

I'm more of a solitary learner than not ~ although not exclusively so either. Working with someone needs to evolve naturally rather than be assigned.

OK so you were asking for snappy comebacks but got a swimming anecdote. I'll share on a few mooc groups and see we can come up with.

January 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Hey Maria and Vanessa, I took swimming lessons during my doctoral coursework thinking that the university instructor could help me where others had failed. It's amazing I lived to earn my PhD ;-) I sink like the proverbial rock.

I just happen to have a very bad pun to contribute to your collection by virtue of DS 106's Daily Create -- http://youtu.be/SzmuD9J_UHs For others: http://tdc.ds106.us/

Good luck with your MOOCing and feel better.
Cris

January 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM  
Anonymous Maria said...

Cris and Vanessa -- Thank you for taking the time to post!

Maria

January 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also want to learn swimming and eagerwaiting to be a perfect one in swimming but have a problem that i didn't find any institution here around to learn swimming and now I think would have to go far now ! some of my friends have now started making Joke of me :(

February 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home